Wednesday, December 20, 2006

i really did want to post those photos tonight....but i'm having problems with the batch uploads on ofoto. I mean "kodak gallery." I'll keep trying, and you'll just have to wait a little longer to see this installment with embedded photos. In other words, come back for a second look.

as for the trip: it was a wonderful break! I took the daytime flight over on thursday, and I've decided that even though it means taking another day off work, it's much easier on my old body than the o'night flight is. The only downside is how early things get started. I flew on AA via boston, which meant leaving DC at 6a. in other words, up at 4. I arrived in London at 830pm, nkk and rek arrived about 90 minutes later, and we caught up at one of the sheraton hotels near heathrow. I managed to stay awake until 130am, which is only 830 pm our time, so it's not as thrilling as it sounds!

Up in the am and got a call from NM telling me that they'd arrived, and would be making their way in town. We all agreed to meet at the k's hotel at 1 for lunch. I made my way via tube to my favorite haunt: the Churchill Hyatt on Portman Square. If you're mapping things, it's 2 blocks from Selfridges and the madness of oxford street, right between the bond street and marble arch tube stops.
My lovely friends at the Hyatt upgraded me to a suite, and i was very comfortable for the weekend.
We had a quickie lunch somewhere, didn't we? And then I went off to the shops before meeting up with everyone again for dinner at Roast. It's a modern british restaurant above the old borough market, which is a nice tourist attraction itself. They'd been swamped with holiday parties, and we waited for about half hour for a table. No one grumbled however, as the Roast folks treated us to a nice glass of Mumm's while we were waiting. I believe they were charging about 20 bucks a glass.

NM didn't think the meal was up to Roast standards. The rest of us really didn't know what we were missing, and had a fine time. I hurried off after tea to pick up some magazines at Selfridges, i think everyone else walked back to their respective hotels.

more later....

2 Comments:

Blogger Nazila Merati said...

Did we eat lunch? I can't remember.

I thought we did sammies and then went to pret before dinner.

Geez, it was a week ago.

5:50 PM  
Blogger jk said...

no, i think pret was the next day.

7:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home