Monday, January 02, 2006

happy new year! So far, so good.

my question for the year: will this finally be the year I end up in the black? I already save 14% of my salary through the forced savings plan, so it's not like I don't save a thing. But i also manage to spend the rest. Can I actually come up with a profit in 2006? It will probably mean cutting back on the travel. Can I live as a mortal in the FF world?
Or should I just stick with one airline? Forget about my top CP status on US, mid-range on UA and AA. SHould I put my eggs in one basket, and which one? And, gasp, use miles?

I have decided to cancel the feb New Zealand mileage trip, and put those back in the account. I'll try to use them in 07, instead.
so, that'll leave me with about 300k on US, 200 on CO, 100 on NW, 150 on UA, and only 50 on AA. I'd love to bump that up, so i could try cathay to the pacific. So, maybe my eggs should go in the AA basket this year. Except for the fact that UA's international upgrade program is so much cheaper.

ugh. let's not think about it. And instead go look for an external hard drive for the laptop.

The other resolution, beside spending less, invloves spending more. At the gym. And doing the trainer thing on a regular basis.

4 Comments:

Blogger Nazila Merati said...

I'm in the same boat darling.

However, I have a trip to Paris I need to take my Goddaughter and her mom on for her 12th bd, so I think I'll be burning miles for that and points -- many many hilton points.

AA's program is okay, but if I were you, I would stick to UA as you can fly non-stop instead of going through ORD or JFK or DFW.

As for savings, I also save about 15% of my pittance of salary and do the IRA thing as well, its my savings of cash I need to think about. Like, if you make xx79 a pay period, can you take the 79 and put it in the bank? I did that for a year and it was a good cushion.

I could also stop buying things, that would be a step in the right direction... dinners out for a month would be a good choice, we're not eating at applebees, but more like citronelle.

Ack, this would not even be necessary if my condo would sell. :(


We can try this year, eh?

nm

11:08 AM  
Blogger jk said...

ok, let's be fiscally responsible buddies.

as for eatting out, i rarely do it on my own dime. so, that won't save much. yes, i'm a mooch. or, as i prefer, guest.

but not buying things, that's a good start. so is carrying my lunch more often.
which would be easier if we start telecommuting. i'm hoping they'll open it up for a day, or two, a week.

12:17 PM  
Blogger jk said...

oh, and i also put 50 from each paycheck into my credit union account. it's usually my vacation cash.

12:19 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

When you DO go to NZ...let me know. Seriously. I have friends there I think you'd enjoy meeting (depending on where you are of course). I lived there for a spell.

8:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home