Monday, January 01, 2007

blah blah blah, happy new year, blah blah blah.

It is 6 pm, and I've eaten my black eyed peas. You haven't? What are you waiting for? Don't you want good luck and prosperity?

this year I had no trotters (isn't that cute? trotters. Not pigs feet), or hocks, but i did have some of that hatch green chile sausage I brought back from Austin. And some frozen greens, so I boiled up my fresh black eyed peas, put 'em in a pot with some thawed frozen okra, collard greens, a bit of veggie stock, and some rice. Instant brown rice I'm ashamed to say, cause that was all that I had.

Anyway, i simmered that for about 20 minutes, threw in a can of rotel tomatoes/chilis, the hatch chile sausage, and what was left of another can of diced tomatoes. Simmered that for a bit, tossed in some salt, and a bit of lemon juice, and gave it a try. Needed a bit more acid, so I squeezed a bit of lime, and it was just dandy. And full of fiber and vitamins, and all kinds of goodness. I have a feeling I'll be finishing up the pot over the next few days.

I also thawed some of the frozen chiles, with the idea of making some green chile. But then I couldn't find my recipe! too many confusing ones online, so I sent out an sos to Mony, in hopes that she'd cadged one from the New Mexico part of the family. We shall see.....

3 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I have tagged you for a meme. I know, you can thank me later :) Stop by M&M to pick it up.

1:23 PM  
Blogger jk said...

tagged, I'm it. oy. ok.

6:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, I am so HUNGRY now - yum!

9:19 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home