Wednesday, March 21, 2007

this bumpersticker was on the car parked next to me at the grocery store last night.

Sic hoc adfixum in obice legere potes, et liberaliter educatus et nimis propinquus ades.

I was laughing at it when the driver arrived back with his bags. He looked a bit saddened to learn that I couldn't translate the phrase from lessons, but only recognized it because my old friend Young Tom (who was a whole two days younger than plain ol' Tom) used to have it on his old triumph.

YT's even older volvo sported this one: Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?

I always laughed at both, and am pleased I still recognized the first one. My latin is nil, except for the few things you can figure out just by looking (and guessing.) The second phrase is one you should be able to figure out....if you can't, well you'll smack yourself once you do get it.

4 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I'll be working on that :) Check out http://matzahandmarinara.wordpress.com - NM was right. As usual.

12:52 PM  
Blogger jk said...

I just checked it out! Your new home is lovely.

11:55 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur.

12:15 PM  
Blogger Nazila Merati said...

I got all but the the last part of the first.

The second, I left to TH and her four years of Latin at Berkeley High to figure out.

Funny stuff.

1:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home