Monday, March 27, 2006




RIP, Buck. I am bummed by this one....i've managed to see most of my music idols in concert, but never got to see Buck Owens. Thought about going out to bakersfield a few times in the last two years, but figured I had time.

Here's a link to a wonderful radio feature about buck:
http://www.voanews.com/english/archive/2004-08/a-2004-08-17-29-1.cfm

But don't listen yet. First, listen to that "act naturally," then read the following:
“Act Naturally,” recorded in 1963, started Buck Owens’ streak of 15 consecutive Number One country singles, and twenty-one number ones in total. Buck Owens’ died at 76 Saturday (March 25), hours after taking the stage at his Crystal Theater in Bakersfield, California, and playing some of the songs that rocked Nashville on its boot heels back in the 1960s.

Listening to “Act Naturally” more than 40 years after its release, it’s hard to imagine that song could annoy anyone, but as VOA’s Katherine Cole reports, the man with the red, white and blue guitar was considered a maverick in country music in 1963."

Then click on the listen link, and I think you'll hear the story as the writer intended.

5 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I have to tell you that when I was 5 years old and we lived in Rockville, I busted my ass on a daily basis to get home from kindergarten in time to see "The Buck Owens Show" because I had a MAJOR crush on the dude. BIG time. I was also quite melancholy about his passing...as of late he had become a big joke, I think, because of his onstage inebriated remarks at one of the awards shows (either the CMA or the ACM, I can't remember which) but I still have such a soft spot in my heart for him.

11:47 AM  
Blogger jk said...

those buck owens ranch shows are now on dvd. pricey, but a wonderful musical time capsule

1:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

nice stuff. there's a great boxed set, too.

5:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

excellent! sounded great.

9:09 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Buck Owens turned Nashville on its collective head way before it was thought it needed to be (B.C. or five years after Cash). He was a cold slap to Owen Bradley, and the Nashville establishment.
Somehow in the seventies, he was seen as taken into the Nashville fold but that never really happened, as evidenced by his total acceptance and reverence in Austin. This is fodder for future writers but in the meantime, goodbye to a great American songwriter and musician.

9:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home