Monday, July 31, 2006

oh god, this is one of the saddest things I've read in a long while. I've not had one in eons, but I stacked up plenty of those green bottles since I turned 18...most during college.

"LATROBE, Pa. - A line of trucks idled outside the loading docks at Latrobe Brewing Co. on Friday morning. In a few hours, they would haul away some of the last cases of Rolling Rock beer brewed in Latrobe.

"It's over. It's done," said Larry Ewantis, who ran the receiving department for ingredients. "Now they're just cleaning up."

Known for its distinctive green bottle and quality pledge with a mysterious "33" at the end, Rolling Rock has been brewed here since 1939. But Belgium-based InBev SA, which owned Rolling Rock and Latrobe Brewing, sold the Rolling Rock brand to Anheuser-Busch Cos. Inc. for $82 million in May.

Anheuser-Busch plans to brew the beer in New Jersey beginning in August. The brewery in Latrobe was not included in the deal, and is expected to close Monday."

more here.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Waaaah!!! *sniffle*

6:50 PM  
Blogger jk said...

i know sweetie, here's a hankie.

It brings back memories, doesn't it. From the days a beer at the dugout cost 85 cents, and you felt like a sport leaving the change for the cute bartender. And even the not cute one.

PS..the first person i sent this to was charlie.

8:19 PM  
Blogger Mony said...

I am soooo sorry, guys!
I would feel the same if they stop making PBR or purple micro-dot. Oh, wait, they did...

10:17 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

You DO realize I live one town over right??? And the film they're making? Filmed part at my place o' bidness :)

I can't buy RR anymore. Guess I'll have to start drinking a lot of Mike's Hard Lemonade...the swill that made Latrobe, er, famous again :D

7:51 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Oh yeah, in case you don't know...the company buying the facility...they make Mike's. They're supposed to ramp back up in January, G-d willing.

This was pretty devastating to the local economy and to Latrobe in particular. They are pretty much all ABOUT Rolling Rock and the LeNature plant. It will be interesting to see how much we all get behind the new company coming in.

7:52 AM  
Blogger jk said...

mike's is cool.

I didn't know you were that close to latrobe. My college friends would have erected a shrine to you.

I now favor yuengling.

9:17 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I'm still a Sammy fan myself.

1:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home