Tuesday, August 01, 2006

yes, it is hot enough for me, part 2.

I was chatting with a neighbor at the subway today. He said, "Everytime I think i'm going to pass out from the heat, I think of what it must have been like for my grandparents, living in downtown DC in August in the 1930s. Before AC."

hell, that's why congress still goes on recess in august. What do you expect in a city built on a swamp.

The good news: It's only the "feels like" that will be 110. The real temp will be around 100. We've been given an "energy alert:"

"What You Can Do to Help

Effective immediately, we are asking our employees to assist XXX in meeting curtailment requirements by turning off nonessential equipment such as lights, window air conditioners, heaters, fans, coffee pots, unattended computers and copy machines. The closing of window blinds or shades is also especially valuable."

You'll notice two important non essential things: Air conditioners, and fans.

on the bad note: i realized that my attic fan isn't working. And there's no way ANYONE is going to want to get up there and repair it...til october.

3 Comments:

Blogger Mony said...

Ahh, too bad about the attic fan. That would help you out should you decide to cut off the air, or have a brown out.
Here's a story for you. In 1983, when I was pregnant with my daughter in Jacksonville, Florida, I had no air-conditioning in my Toyota (or my husband's), no air-conditioning in my house, and no air-conditioning at my public school where I taught. The same in 1985, when my son was born, except we had installed a window unit in my daughter's room at birth.
I was a marathon runner from 1978 through the birthing years and ran every day, dodging pregnancies.
This is kind of unbelievable to me, but there it is.
The public schools in Jacksonville were not totally air-conditioned until the mid-eighties.
We took a whole lot of showers and exercised a bunch.

9:41 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Heck...maybe NOVEMBER given your weather! ha!

It certainly doesn't get THAT hot over a sustained period here in the 'burgh but it's pretty hot. I remember hot eastern WV summers with no AC...and I walked (I shit you not) two miles from the bus stop home ON BLACKTOP all through July from taking biology in summer school when I was 15 just so I could graduate early. Talk about raw determination.

Feh. Then I went to NZ and they tried to hold me BACK a year when I came back.

7:46 AM  
Blogger jk said...

factoid in the post today: a soak or shower in 75-ish degree water cools you faster than AC.

9:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home