Tuesday, November 04, 2008

it's the day of decision ----i'm a bit worried. Haven't voted yet---will go around 1030 in hopes that the early lines are gone, and everything is under control. It's a mild day, so i think i'll walk. the polls are only about a mile from my house, but there is no straight way to get there, so it'll be about a half hour walk each way.

I've been busy since my last post. Had to scramble to find a new garage, as mine closed suddenly. Forced out of their lease after 53 years in the same location. Most likely to make room for a chain restaurant or shop....just like all the others that've sprung up around it. I feel for the men who worked there (all male employees, as far as I can recall) ---it's a horrible time to be out of work. They've searched for a new location, but so far....nothing. I'll selfishly add that it'll be hard to find something as convenient as this ---- a five minute walk from a subway station. I ended up going out to the dealer, about 15 mile from my house. It's a pain, as I've got to drive out there (which is against traffic), but then get a loaner and drive back in to home, or the office, or, most often, a subway station. That is always with traffic, so the trip doubles in time. It takes about 25 minutes from my house to their door, perhaps a bit less if there is no one on the highway and I choose that route. This time I waited, which seemed a better use of time. Turns out they had free wifi, so I could at least log onto my office email and take care of a few things. I also took advantage of their hospitality in the form of a donut, of the dunkin' variety. There were several choices in the box, including one with pink "for the cure" icing. I'm "for the cure" as much as anything, but left that one alone, opting for something a bit cake-y and glazed. My first donut in at least a year, and I made a wise choice, thinking of Homer Price and his wonderful machine all the while. I was debating (with myself) whether child labor laws or an over-protective parent would keep him from working on the donut machine at his Uncle's lunch counter. I doubt he'd have a pet skunk, either. My conclusion? a donut doesn't solve anything, but it did help make a 488 dollar bill go down a bit easier.

Saturday was a gorgeous day, top down weather, tempered by the fact that I was driving with the top down on my way to a funeral. The wife of a new colleague, a few years younger than I am. She left three children: 10, 4, 2. It was a bit unsettling to hear the Fr. talk about her reuniting with another child in heaven, and to see much of the congregation nodding in agreement. we joined the procession (top up out of respect) to the cemetery, which turned out to be multi-faith. I noticed Korean, Protestant, Baptist and Catholic sections, along with one that didn't appear to be denominational. There was also an "intermarriage section," which was described as " ideally located in close proximity" to the Jewish memorial garden.

2 Comments:

Blogger Mony said...

I loved Homer Price!! What a nice reminder! Let us hear how long you had to wait to vot.

I am sorry that your co-worker's wife died. That is really really sad.

5:24 PM  
Blogger Nazila Merati said...

Wow, what a post. Keep them coming.

12:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home