Thursday, January 26, 2006

I am exhausted.

I spent much of the day working with this guy:


And my brain is now full.
For those who weren't tuned in to bluegrass during the '70's, or country music during the '80s and '90s, that's Marty Stuart, the walking music history encyclopedia. And not a bad singer, songwriter, guitar picker or mandolinist, either.
He's released three great albums in six months: Soul's Chapel (a gospel CD, that's winning rave reviews from folks who usually don't listen to the stuff), Badlands (a CD about the trials of the Lakota Sioux. Marty's been adopted by the tribe, quite an amazing feat in itself) and now "Live at the Ryman," a return to his bluegrass roots. He's been playing professionally since he was 12, and there's still a lot more to come. Marty told me to expect 6 more CDs in this current arc, and a few more books of his (wonderful) photographs. That's what's on the books for the near future, not the long term.

All in all, a good day. I'm going to the show tonite, so it'll be a good evening, too.

5 Comments:

Blogger Nazila Merati said...

is this why i did not hear a peep from you all day?

I hope you had fun tonight!

12:03 AM  
Blogger jk said...

gyes, i had to actually drive to the office (as opposed to taking the subway), get work done, drive over and pick marty up at his hotel, drive back to the office, blah blah blah, back to the hotel, back to the office, get more crap out of the way so i could do my drs stuff today, go to the show, come home. SLEEP. get up and write this.

7:39 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I THOUGHT that was Marty the Party! I miss SOOO much when I am sick and can't stroll my blog'hood.

9:49 AM  
Blogger jk said...

hey z, hope you are feeling better! Yup, the marty party lives on. I hadn't seen him in a bunch of years, and it was funny to hear him introduce me to people using a diminutive of my name. I don't use an "ie" when i introduce myself, but some folks just naturally do it.


sidebar: the word verification was just jewdeva. close, huh?

10:38 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

That's me man....jewdeva :) Hahahahahahaha...I may have to change my domain name! Hahahahahahahahaha.

Anyway, now if Travis had just been there...ahhh....THAT'S a party :)

8:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home