Thursday, April 13, 2006

As expected, the lizards show was fantastic. Glad i went, glad to see the guys, and glad i drank two Harp.

but then today....our latest entry from the "it's always something" department.

I'd noticed that my beloved 12" powerbook g4 was running a bit hotter than usual, and the fan sounded loud. SO, I decided to take it in for a check up. But first: i must go downstairs, and transfer a few things from the powerbook to the external drive. I carefully unplug the power brick, walk downstairs, and...for some reason, can not replug the brick once I'm there. That's right, walking down the stairs killed my power port.

I go to the apple store tonight, where they inform me that this won't be coverd under warranty because my powerbook (2.5 year old) has a few dents in the case. Small things, that probably have been not affecting things for two years now.

But...for a mere 600 bucks, they can replace the powerport, and give me a new external case...which will mean my warranty is back in service. But since it's only for the first 3 years of life, it's almost dead, anyway.

I call then call the apple repair shop here, and find out they'll replace the powerport for 400 bucks. That's powerport only.

For lack of any other plan, I call bob at cal tech. He tells me that his old powerbook started failing right before the 3 year mark, and he ended up having much of it rebuilt. He offers to sell it to me for 400 bucks...100 bucks off the price he'd sell it to one of his students.

So...what to do, what to do.... I like my little powerbook, but then I can get a 15 inch screen, likely with a larger hard drive, for the same price as repairing mine. And it's already been fixed up with a new display, motherboard, and something else.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You KNOW what I'm going to say: get a new one! (Writes yet another check to Steve Jobs) Barring that, I'd go for the rebuilt laptop - things other than your laptop's power port might start failing.

9:10 PM  
Blogger jk said...

i'd love to buy a new one, but don't have 1500 bucks lying around. i'm almost over extended as is.

So, if i spend 400 on bob's, and get two years use, i guess that's the best deal.

9:42 PM  
Blogger Nazila Merati said...

I emailed you the same thing. Take Bob's and see if you can harvest yours for something.

nm

12:57 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I vote for Bob's as well.
I think Apple products are going to change dramatically pretty quickly because of the Intel chip business; I cannot predict for better or worse.
Who knows but that they might be dumping the old models pretty soon...
And another thing you have to consider is the weight when you go up to a larger screen (of course I don't what Bob's is).

4:12 PM  
Blogger jk said...

another bunch of words from the wise.
his is a 15 inch.

as it stands now, I'm going to take his as a loaner, with the option to purchase if i desire. I've got a little more than a month to decide... i'm heading out to la on the 31st of may.

8:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home